Sean Maher's Quality Control

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass: A hearty San Franciscan good time

Last year I got to check out one of the many great features of San Francisco living, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival at Speedway Meadows in Golden Gate Park.



This was two solid days of free concerts on four stages throughout the meadows. A backpack full of beer and a towel are pretty much all you need. Food vendors selling garlic fries provide the sustenance. And for a whiteboy, there's no safer place to get your dance on. This is one of the things I really love about country and bluegrass and every other "hick" music. 'Cause when I dance, I like to look silly as hell. I don't give a damn; I just want to have some fun and flail around with some enthusiasm. Roots music is really great for this.

So, last year I had a great goddamn time. I got to see Tim O'Brien, Gillian Welch, Old Crow Medicine Show... unbelievable fun.

This year's tentative list includes Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs, Ricky Skaggs, Robert Earl Keen, and Steve Earl.

It's October 1st and 2nd, and it's DEAD FREE.

Life is fuckin' great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com