Sean Maher's Quality Control

Thursday, January 19, 2006

San Francisco owns the news

A number of exciting San Francisco announcements this week.

*****

Over at the Isotope site, James Sime announces that the doors are swinging wide open for entries in this year's Isotope Award for Excellence in Mini-Comics. This is always really exciting - previous winners Daniel Merlin Goodbrey, Josh Cotter and especially Rob Osborne have been some of my favorites (as covered here at Quality Control [and Bookshelf Comics]), so I'm completely psyched to see who's gonna step up to the plate this year. How about you, Chris Gumprich?

*****

Josh promised some cool shit on the AiT website when he got started, and this week has been pretty damn cool - first we got a page from the long-awaited follow-up project by Adam Beechen and Manny Bello, the gentlemen behind Hench (which remains my favorite book in the AiT catalog). The book's called Dugout. I'm pretty psyched to see it.



(Beechen, I've noticed, is writing Robin when One Year Later kicks off.)

Then Josh dropped the real bomb, just yesterday. I won't spoil it for you. Go and look for yourself.

*****

Marvel's books are all going up to $2.99, eh? Somehow I missed that when I was reading the solicits.

Hmm. Well, the only $2.50 book I was buying anyway was Ultimate Fantastic Four, and I can just as easily drop that one.

See, just yesterday, I was saying how pricing a comic at $2.50 will make me feel a lot more forgiving and open to trying out one I might not otherwise want.

Oh fucking well, I guess. Like I also said yesterday, Marvel's gonna put out a trade anyway, and I can just get it used at Green Apple later on.

*****

I am excited, however, to learn just a little more about J. Michael Straczynski's upcoming Silver Surfer mini: the art's gonna be by Esad Ribic! That guy did an absolutely awesome job on Loki.



*****

So, Molly finally read Superman: Birthright. Dude, how awesome is that part where he goes after the guy who sold guns to some kids and shoots at him, then grabs the bullet out of the air?

One of the best Superman comics I've ever read, that.
 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com