Sean Maher's Quality Control

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Indie Solicitations for April, Part Two

All right, today I got to do it my way. I'm pretty excited about this stuff, so take a look!

*****

Vampira: Revelations volume 1 TP
Anarchy Studios/Harris Comics, p.215
I normally follow Lucifer writer Mike Carey pretty much everywhere, but I avoided this one because - hey - it's Vampirella. I picked up the first issue and enjoyed it a bit, but it still totally dropped off my radar on the racks: I just kinda gloss over the "titties and horror" section, y'know? Josh Fialkov admonished me otherwise, and told me to check the series out, and here like a godsend is the trade. Perfect. I'm actually pretty curious to try this one out. The solicited cover look like this without the 25ยข thing:



Mouse Guard #2
Archaia Studios Press, p.220
I grew up a huge fan of the Secret of NIMH movie, so tiny rodents in high adventure stories really appeals to me from the get go. Add in a gorgeous cover (think Sam fighting Shelob) and some basically smoking artwork and I'm sold! Not just sold, really - I think this is the "find" this month that I'm most excited about, 'cause the publisher has an amazing eleven-page preview of issue #1 available on their website that looks really jaw-dropping. That comes out this month and I'll be keeping an eye out for it. This is the cover for that one:



Warren Ellis' Wolfskin #1
Avatar Press Inc., p.229
I've got a pretty rigid "no-four-dollar-comics" rule, and I've been underwhelmed by a lot of Ellis' work for this publisher, but attaching artist Juan Jose Ryp to a gorey swords-and-sorcery book goes a long way towards making me buy this anyway. I'll be picking it up and flipping through it for sure. Lots of preview art up at the Avatar site. For example:



Warren Ellis' Chronicles of Wormwood - Preview
Avatar Press Inc., p.233
Well, I imagine some folks might be pissed to learn that, despite the title, this is a Garth Ennis book. One mighty solicit text fuck-up aside (come on, guys), I do have to admit I'm curious here; Ennis teams again with Jacen Burrows and it looks like religiously-themed grossout humor and high drama, which of course is what he's best at. Satan's son becomes buddies with Jesus, "a black, mentally-challenged man that just isn't performing many miracles these days"? Man, that's gonna draw some angry shouts from the crowd, but hopefully it'll be clever enough to stand on its own anyway. I'm interested. They say this is an ongoing series, so I'm curious how that's gonna work, too. No artwork on the Avatar website yet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Talent #1
Boom! Studios, p.240
Again, this is a challenge to my four-dollar-comics rule, but I'm curious. I'm getting hints at a connection to Flight #93, the One that Fought Back. Could just be my post-9/11 shakes and shivers, though. What we know for sure is that "[w]hen Flight 654 goes down, it takes 148 souls with it. But not Nicholas Dane. How did the 34-year-old college professor survive - was it a miracle? Now Nicholas now finds that he has the memories and skills of one of the passengers from the flight - a boxer - and he's got to use them to survive!" Interesting premise; I'll take a look at this one.



Boom! is also putting out issue #3 of War of the Worlds: Second Wave, which I first spotted back in December. The solicit for issue #3 is on page 241 and the cover looks pretty smokin'. I'm waiting for this month's first issue with baited breath.



Shaolin Cowboy #5
Burlyman Entertainment, p.242
I've long since accepted that I'll just have to take what I can get from Geof Darrow; this series ain't in any hurry to come out, but when it does it's always a fucking blast to read. I can't imagine I have any readers who aren't following this series, but in case you've been out of your fucking mind, go to the Burlyman website and buy the first four issues. There are some preview pages in there somewhere but the navigation is a little weird, so you can also try at Newsarama, which has previews of issues #1 and #3.



*****

That's all for today; I'm gonna space these out a bit so's to let each title get more of a spot in the sun. See you tomorrow!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger Benny said…

    But I have arrived home today to find replica watches number 25902 which is not what I want. This is a birthday present for my brothers birthday and he wants rolex replica sale with the stainless and rubber strap so can you email me back please and tell me how I go about sending this one back to you. And you sending the rolex replica sale you said you was gonna send to me. Designer watch is favoured by majority of the watch lovers because it is characterized with superb performance and unbeatable quality. Since not all brand replica watches sale are able to qualify their products as designer watches, some manufacturers resort into producing replicas of renowned brands. They try to imitate the total look of the genuine item, making it had for the buyers to identify what is original from replicas. A lot of manufacturers around the globe are affected with the growing number of replica watches. Some watch buyers on the other hand prefer replica watches uk for its lower price and for the fact that when they already wear it, it cannot be identified as fake.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com