Sean Maher's Quality Control

Friday, May 19, 2006

Children of the Grave, more

Big Newsarama day, it seems.

*****

Tom Waltz discusses the new IDW trade collection of Children of the Grave, which long-time readers will remember I enjoyed back in March of last year. Casey Maloney's artwork has all been touched up, and as much as I enjoyed it then, I have to say it looks really stellar now, with the digital effects adding a lot of dimension to the scenery:





Tom also teases with the cover image to his upcoming project with Maloney, The Last Fall ("The Last Samurai meets Starship Troopers"), which looks really badass:



*****

I haven't read any Scott Pilgrim at all. But I took a look at the FCBD issue, which is posted in its entirety at Newsarama. I just looked at this page, and I think I may be sold on the series now:



I'll probably talk about the book when I finally read it... unless, of course, I don't enjoy it, in which case I'll keep my fool mouth shut.

*****

Eximious means "really good," you see.

*****

Ooh, new Harry Crews book is out!



--and appears, already, to be unavailable. I tracked down a copy through Top 10 Website Ever bookfinder.com, but it seems they only printed like 2,000 of these. Weird. Publishers Weekly describes An American Family thusly:

"Set in what appears to be the contemporary South, this twisted tale of violence and passion from Crews (The Gospel Singer) focuses on the domestic conflicts facing Major Melton, a former marine and junior college professor. Melton's discovery of an unusual birthmark on his baby son's private parts leads him to suspect his wife of an affair and to a series of brutal episodes involving pit bulls and a hanging."

So, yeah - I'm all over it.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    From my 1973 FUNK & WAGNALLS STANDARD COLLEGE DICTIONARY:

    eximious - Most distinguished; excellent.

    It's sums up the book I plan on rolling out quite nicely. Also sums up Scott Pilgrim, and you better read it.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Sean Maher said…

    Distinguished is for fancy pants. Give me something Really Good any day. ;)

    Don't worry - both books are on my list.

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fucking Harry Crews books. Until recently I couldn't find a copy of The Hawk is Dying for less than $114.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Sean Maher said…

    Man, I loved The Hawk Is Dying... something nicely private about that one. Crews is full of isolated, alienated characters, but there was something about a book that basically only contains the man and the hawk (which, as Crews pointed out in a later essay, is totally incapable of loving a man) that really nailed it down.

    But yeah, Crews' body of work is about half-to-two-thirds out of print, and seriously enough so that a lot of 'em are WAY hard to find.

    If you're in SF, keep an eye on Green Apple Books - they often don't seem to realize that XYZ is out of print and going for so much cash - or else just keep your fingers on bookfinder.com, which has been a godsend for me when I'm looking for that kind of stuff.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com